Monday 22 April 2013

The morning after the day before.....

Well I ache this morning but I’m pretty happy.  I’m going to start at the beginning....... which was waking up at 5.30am, getting into my kit and forcing my muesli down.  Paul (Deirdre’s husband) gave us and his brother Ian a lift to the station, where we met Stacey and Oliver, and we got the train to Waterloo.  We walked over to Waterloo East and got the train to Blackheath.  From there we walked to the start.  We got there at about 8.45-ish and we queued for the loo (twice), put our bags on the lorries and lined up in our start pen.  We were in pen 9 – the back!  I probably shouldn't, but I have to tell you that Deirdre tried out the female urinals.  She regretted not trying the she-pee the last time and was determined to.  I didn't!  I didn't want to start the race with a wet leg or worse a soggy shoe but she did it and ticked it off of her bucket list (brave lady) and no, she didn't have a soggy shoe or wet leg!






It took us about 15 minutes to cross the start line but it was amazing from the start.  There were loads of people, bands, music and runners.  It was hot, hot, hot from the word go.  Some parts along the route got a little bit quiet – like between 8 and 10 miles and the going got a bit tough.  It was a nice relief seeing Deirdre’s sisters and their family at about 11.5 miles and it was a great feeling crossing Tower Bridge.  It was even better after half way as we got into a bit of shade going into docklands and it clouded over a bit.  That was a good job as I was totally overheating. 
One of the rubbish lasting effects of my clots is that they permanently damaged my lungs.  The receptors in my lungs were damaged and so although I can breathe and there is air in my lungs the receptors don’t tell my brain that.  My brain thinks I need more air which leads to something that feels a bit like a panic attack.  This gets worse when I’m hot.  I have learnt to control it but it isn’t very nice and it hurts because I get chest pains at the same time.  I felt like this between about miles 9 and 13 so I can’t tell you what a relief it was when we hit a bit of shade.  I walked through every shower and fireman’s hose to cool down.  They were so cold they took my breath away for real!
We saw Deirdre’s kids and their friends at about 14 miles.  In some places around the 14 mile mark there the crowds were so packed that it was hard to get through.  There were lots of people walking and sometimes it was like hitting a wall and we struggled to get through.   Around Docklands we saw Simon and Deborah, Nikki and then Maggie, Allyson and Deirdre’s work colleagues.  The children in Deirdre's class had made a banner with messages from every single one writen on their hand prints!  The drums under the underpass (I’m not sure where we were) gave me goose bumps!  We saw Lyndsey then Deirdre’s kids again at about 20 and then Maggie and Allyson again, my family and Graham at 21 and 22 and Sharon.  We saw the lovely Carol on the Embankment (with her bad back) who nearly made us cry!  Both of our watches has gone wrong by Docklands so I have no idea on how far we actually ran – which was loads more than 26.2 due to the weaving around the walls of walkers. 







The last 4 miles were really tough but we just kept run/walking and although we didn’t make the pace we’d hoped for it didn’t really matter, we finished!  (And we were quicker than Amy Childs by 3 minutes!!) Stacey finished in 5.21.  This is probably the nearest I will ever get to being a rock star as hundreds of people shouted my name which was totally AMAZING!

 
I was a bit premature yesterday when I posted my summary:

Tuesday: 4 miles
Saturday: 3.1 miles parkrun
Sunday: 26.2 miles
Total miles this week 33.3
Total marathon miles to date: 369.95

Only 4 weeks and 4 days until Edinburgh!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment